Thursday 20 April 2017

The Silver Camera

     Just about every article about photography that I have read advocates the use of a black camera for street photography as well as other other genres within the craft. In street photography, a small camera, preferably in black,  is said to be  relatively unobtrusive and allows the photographer, to some degree, the ability to be  inconspicuous in  obtaining  the much coveted candid portrayal of street life. The other advantage to a black camera is the much reduced reflective footprint when photographing shiny objects or taking a picture through glass. 

     Personally, I think most people, (myself included) prefer  black cameras simply because they look cooler.

     In my photographic career, most of the cameras I have owned have been black. Starting with a Yashica FX3 (my first serious camera) back in 1979. Generally, given a choice, I prefer black cameras.  

     However my latest camera purchase is gloriously silver. It all came about when I pre-ordered my Fuji X100F. I had been reading about this camera in several online articles prior to its release in the Canadian market. Before its release I had gone to a Fuji event in Toronto to take a look at it and try it out a bit. I was smitten. After much deliberation, (Well not much really. If you read my last post you'll know that I'm a self admitted gear junkie!) I decided to pre-order the camera. Before pre-ordering it, I called the camera shop in Toronto that had hosted the Fuji event. I wanted to confirm that the camera would still be available on its advertised release date. I hate placing an order for something and waiting weeks to get it. I was assured that the camera would indeed be available on its release date but, if I wanted the black one, I would have to wait a couple of weeks more. Did I mention that I hate to wait weeks for something I've ordered? Okay.  You know where this is going.

     Precisely on the release date, Canada Post dutifully delivered my little silver gem. It arrived about 20 minutes before I had to leave for work. I felt like a little kid at Christmas who's not allowed to play with his new toy.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
My Fuji X100F

     For the record, I have to say that this is, without a doubt, one of the coolest cameras that I have ever used. If I were a little more qualified in the world of digital imaging I might even write a review of it. There is a lot to it and I seem to be discovering something new almost every time I use it.

     Part of the charm of the X100 series of cameras  (and indeed the entire Fuji X series line) is the old school look and design. I am an old school photographer. Okay, full disclosure. I'm not really "old school". I'm just "old". I like having conventional dials to control things like shutter speed, aperture and focus. I'm not a big fan of digging through menus to control a camera. 

     Apart from the practical aspects of the design, there are the aesthetics of the instrument. Just the look of this camera has been getting me a lot of comments. Unlike most "street"  photographers, I'm not really interested in stealth. I happily and proudly sling whatever camera I'm using around my neck and it is in plain sight whether I'm using it or not. I do not feel the need to carry even my smallest camera ( a Fuji X70) in a pocket or under my jacket. I prefer compact cameras simply because they are lighter and easier to carry and, with today's technology, they are capable of producing results that seriously rival that of  their much larger and heavier brethren. About the only time I feel the urge to hide my camera away is if I find myself in one of the shadier neighbourhoods of a large urban centre, or to protect them from environmental damage, heavy rain, excessive dust etc. I also tend to keep my gear under wraps when I find myself in close crowded conditions such as an event or on public transit. I think that any photographer with an ounce of common sense and intuition knows when to put the camera away.

     I find this need for stealth to be almost ludicrous. News flash people. The average human, walking about,  is used to the fact the there are people with imaging devices almost everywhere . Everything from high school kids taking selfies with their cell phones to full time professional photographers with large cameras and sophisticated lighting kits doing wedding portraits in a scenic public location. The average person passing by usually does not care that you might intentionally or otherwise include them in a photo. In this day and age, people are bombarded with thousands of images daily. Is it really necessary to treat photography like an undercover stealth operation worthy of an international spy agency?                                                                                                                                                           
Debbie; A local lady I often run into when I'm downtown. Today it was the thrift store.  She spotted my camera and asked if I would take her picture. As I brought the camera up to my eye she grabbed a hat off of the rack and popped it on her head. Kind of a cool candid.  Fuji X100F

Urban Explorer;  The Eaton Centre Mall in Toronto has this cool compass rose inlaid on one of its floors. Photographing from the mezzanine above, I made a few photos of passersby walking through it. When this guy, complete with backpack and camera in hand entered the scene, my finger stabbed the shutter button before my mind could even register the shot. The situation was almost too perfect! Yeah okay, sometimes I'm  stealthy!
Fuji X70

Autumn Stroll; Taken with my pseudo Leica. (Leica D-LUX Typ109)  Unlike many  photographers, I have never felt the urge to cover the red dot on my Leica. Actually one of the most common questions I get when using it is, "What kind of camera is that?"  In other words, the average non photographic person has no  idea  what the Leica brand is about and no knowledge of the significance of the red dot. Everyone's heard of Canon and Nikon. Leica?... Not so much. For me, masking the brand is not worth the effort of digging the electrician's tape out of the toolbox.
      Furthermore, not hiding the camera can actually be an asset. It's a chance to promote my brand. I'm a photographer. I make photographs. It's what I do. It involves a camera. I rarely feel the urge to hide my camera away when I'm out and about.  A few days ago I was walking through a local park making some springtime photos. As I passed by a woman and her young daughter, the daughter asked if I was a newspaper photographer. I replied that no, I wasn't, although sometimes my pictures are used in the local papers. I told them about how I was marketing a series of  local postcards and prints through a couple of downtown stores. The child's mother responded by saying that she would check them out next time they were downtown. I gave the mother my card and wrote directions to my flickr page. ( I don't have a website yet)  A good human connection through photography. You can't buy that kind of promotion.

    I live in a small town. Before Christmas last year, I participated in an art show and sale at our local market centre. One of the most common comments I got was, "We've seen you out and about with your camera. It's nice to finally see some of your pictures."                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
The Art Show & Sale; Wincey Mills Market, Paris, Ont.  I got the chance to meet and talk with a lot of people. We sold some prints and took orders for several more. Never underestimate having at least part of your portfolio ready to show on a handy tablet! 

     I could provide a lot more examples of interesting chats that I've had while being out with my camera. For me, it's not an uncommon occurrence. The human connection is important. Photography tends to be a solitary activity. Most of the time, it's just me and a camera out taking pictures, not to mention the countless hours spent by myself in front of a computer screen editing them. But the human connection is important. Anyone can buy a picture and hang it on their wall. But if they've talked to the photographer, and know a bit of the story behind the image, that picture takes on  more significance. Never underestimate the power of the human connection. It's the reason people will pay serious money to go to see their favourite musical artists in concert, even though they can download their recordings for next to nothing.

     So, I've found a feature of my cool, new, shiny, retro styled, silver camera that is not mentioned in the brochure. It gets people talking. 

We talk about photography. We talk about pictures. We talk about art. 

We talk about life

...more later. 
         

     
     
        

No comments:

Post a Comment